Sunday 15 September 2013

Sore feet already but marching on

Here I am in Rome already feeling weary and with sore feet. The flights seemed interminable although the transit proved a bit of a battle, with so many passengers to get through security. And the airline was not wonderful, blinds pulled down and lights turned off hours before sunset.  I did almost finish a book. However, as usual it was impossible to get comfortable, and it gets very tedious.
The man in the seat beside me on the second flight was pleasant and interesting. It was an early arrival and as we approached the airport it became cloudy. A pity.

The hotel I am in is in a different part of Rome - not far away but I have had to reorient myself and I am not known for an infallible sense of direction. Proceed with not only caution but with dollops of confusion. I have revisited a few places and this afternoon went to the Palazzo Massimo, which is fabulous. The statues, mosaics, and frescoes are stupendous. I was very taken by a couple with a little  girl of 3 , and they were showing her all sorts of things to notice about the sculptures. They permitted me to take a photo of them.

Packing takes me ages, putting things in and taking them out again, and so on and so forth. I left the umbrella  behind so naturally today it rained, I got quite wet, but resisted all the pedlars.  Museums are good places to go when it rains.

We tourists are everywhere, out in our hordes, being importuned by most and sundry. I have not yet had resort to buying bus tickets, but it is on the agenda, as there are places not within walking distance. Today I popped in to Santa Maria della Vittoria, to see Bernini's St Teresa in Ecstasy and then to Santa Maria degli Angeli, to view the meridian line again, as well as the rest of it.  As well as revisiting places I intend to see other places, and just wander around generally,
the Aventino and Testaccio.
 
I hope I soon get day and night sorted out.  But onwards, regardless. I am doing this on the iPad, which does not think quite the way I do, and it thinks it knows better. Sometimes it does...








2 comments:

Jayview said...

I shall enjoy your travels vicariously - without the sore feet. I am a Melbournean and haven't been to Rome (just Firenze, Venezia and 3 weeks around Siena. Happy wandering. Jean

Elephant's Child said...

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. Thank you for taking us along - sans the sore feet and the rain.