Tuesday 15 April 2014

In the midst of life

Tomorrow I am flying to attend my sister's funeral, and staying overnight. I think all the brothers and sisters will be there, joining the immediate family. My daughter who is staying with me for two weeks, helped organise things for me. It was difficult juggling times and means of transport,   And I became rather stressed, but all should go smoothly now, thanks to her intervention.

At present I can only think of my sister's last few years, with the constant and relentless worsening of her mental and physical condition. Sentiments such as it being "a merciful release" fail to acknowledge the human cost and the suffering of the person afflicted, and of all the family members.
During my husband's last few months of life I witnessed and coped with his physical and mental deterioration. It is possible only to deal with the situation little by little, day by day, and as events unfold, and as necessity dictates, reacting to developments and deterioration little by little.

 My sister will have a loving and heartfelt farewell, from her immediate family, sisters and brothers, nieces and nephews, and many friends.  Thus lives and loves are acknowledged, celebrated and remembered.

3 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Hugs.
She is no longer in pain, but you and the rest of the family are. The 'merciful release' somehow minimising the pain, the grief, the work that she and you all have endured.
Which is a long-winded way of saying I can't find the words - but you are in my heart.

Pam said...

Yes, indeed. Very mixed feelings. I hope it all goes well.

VioletSky said...

It is always difficult to find the right words, and so often the ones we come up seem so trite. EC said it well. I hope your visit and the time with family (and her friends) is a help to you.