Wednesday 22 December 2010

Some people might use the word depredations. I couldn't possibly say.

It has been a stressful few days, despite the tranquillisers. The visitors have been so very keen to see Dr P, and eager for me to go out. I smelled large rats - and I had to deal with lots earlier this year, but where there is a will there is a way. Except some people don't want to wait for the will, and so they have managed to extract some prior advantage. Three fifths of what is readily available, to be precise.

Well, it is his money to give away or keep as he pleases, and none of it was ever intended for me. While I do not think he is capable any longer of understanding or managing his affairs, his lucidity, memory and capability flash on and off, so it is not possible for mere non-medical mortals to ascertain the exact level of competence or incapacity. And the appointment with the geriatrician is not for another three months. What's the point?

So I am not doing anything, and hope not to even mention the war. Dr P has said nothing to me so far, and I wonder if he will.

Another tranquilliser combined with some wine should help. And perhaps takeaway dinner. No point slaving away over a hot stove. Nor is there any point dwelling on what must be endured, except that I wonder about so many questions. Except that right now I'd like to be out of here, and far, far away.

While the rats were gnawing away at the substance, I met a friend, whose husband is also declining. We had a lovely time lunching and talking. We travelled to Italy together in 2009 and had a great time, and we thoroughly enjoyed the recollections of the trip.

Perhaps symbolically, there was a total eclipse of the moon last night, but in Sydney it was almost over before the moon rose, and because we are on the downside of a hill, with terrace houses and tall trees obscuring the view, the moon was full and white by the time it rose into sight. I wish I had seen it.

2 comments:

VioletSky said...

Oh, Persiflage, I do so feel for you with this hardship. I rather suspect you are a very nice, considerate person. You certainly don't deserve this invasion. This is still your home and they should not be allowed to avail themselves to it whenever they feel like being rude in you and Dr P's presence.

I wish you had been able to see the lunar eclipse. It might have been a very calming, spiritual experience. It was for me, anyway.

Pam said...

Oh, poor poor IP. I'm so sad for you. It must be horrible. I hope that you manage to enjoy Christmas at least a bit. Feel free to vent to your bloggy friends.