Tuesday 24 November 2009

Falling down

Dr P fell over in the kitchen this afternoon. A cockroach ran across the kitchen floor, he tried to hit it with the fly swat, and fell. He was unable to get himself up, and nor could I get him up. I tried to get him into a kneeling position, so that he could get some leverage which, with my help, would get him to his feet, but he seemed unable to do so or to figure out the technique. He wanted me to ring his daughter so she could come over and help hoist him up. That could have taken some time, so instead I went into the lane, where some builders are working on a neighbouring house, and asked two of the men to help, which they very kindly did.

Dr P banged his arm and it bled a little, and fortunately he did not seem too shaken by the fall. But he should know better than to lunge at a cockroach.

Tonight he fell again. This time we were able to get him to his feet without having to call for help. He tried to carry his plate to the kitchen - something I always do, so I wonder why today he thought he could manage it. When he called me I was upstairs changing my clothes, as I was going to a concert. Naturally I stayed home, but if it had happened five minutes later I would have been gone, and he would have had to press his panic button. He took his blood pressure and that was normal, and he has gone to bed, rather shaky and subdued. He needed comforting and reassurance. It might be a good idea to take him to see the GP.

It is a worry. He is so heavy that it is extremely difficult for me to get him off the floor. When his legs gave way about four years ago, he fell and hit his head on the door jamb. I managed to get him up by using the computer chair, and then pushed him around. I had already arranged to see the GP that day about his condition and increasing weakness, and following my visit, he called to the house, and had Dr P admitted to hospital by ambulance. As he could neither stand nor walk, a laminectomy was necessary, and he was in hospital and rehab for a good six weeks. Various modifications were made to the house, such as handrails, we subscribed to a panic button service, and later had an inclinator installed. However this year he has become increasingly feeble, and tonight seems somewhat confused from the falls. What will happen and how will we deal with it? This sort of slow decline is awful.






7 comments:

Laura Jane said...

Yes it is awful.

Poor Dr P, he must be worried and confused, and poor you, worrying about going out never knowing what you'll find.

2 falls in one day is bound to shake anyone up.

molly said...

We worry about this happening to my F-I-L, who is also 87, cranky and stubborn, and insists he is still safe living alone. We don't have the weight issues; in fact, if his disposition were as handsome as his appearance we'd be in clover! But he is in pain all the time and getting gradually feebler. Every time you write about the aging issues with Dr. P I relate! Hope he's done with falling down for a while!

Frogdancer said...

Oh you poor thing. You're so tiny, too... not exactly built for wrangling large men off floors. I hope that he settles down and doesn't keep trying to 'prove' that he can still do things.

VioletSky said...

This is worrying. Another unwelcome life change.

Meggie said...

Oh I do feel for you! My daughter works in aged care, & she said it is well noted, that once people start 'falling over' it somehow seem to accelerate other things.
Poor Dr P, how frightening. Poor you, having to deal with it.

My WV is seadoc... how strange.

Zenom said...

Sorry to hear. You're a trouper and he's fortunate to have someone to care for him.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry, and I am thinking of you. Much thoughts your way. x