Thursday, 16 April 2009

Lifting the spirits

The last fortnight has been very busy, and every time I considered posting, my heart sank a little, as I could not think of what to say, or how to say it. It all came out dreary, which is not really how it has all been. I probably left it all too late at night to have any creative energy. Anyway, here goes.

The main cause of tiredness was the choir. We had our concert on Saturday night, and there were long and tiring practices during the week. We had early starts and late finishes. Each night I came away feeling exhausted, and with incredibly sore feet. One of our pieces was very difficult. Fortunately it all came right on the night. Thank the Lord for that, and thanks to all of us who worked so very hard. And if anyone has a cure for tired, sore and numb feet, I am prepared to try it and endorse it on national television with close up pics of the feet before and after. The simple answer might be not to stand rigidly for so long in such uncomfortable and crowded conditions. 

It is an amazing thing that choir members are inevitably forced to endure awful conditions in order to make wonderful music. The first concert I sang in was in a church. It was a freezing Canberra winter night. While the audience sat in heated pews, we sang standing on the marble steps to the altar, and my feet got so cold that I nearly fell flat on my face when the concert ended. Often there is not nearly enough room for everyone, let alone for the music. The authorised choir 'uniform' is often too hot, and ignores the climate or the weather. One choir sings in academic gowns over their clothes, including long sleeved blouses, even in the middle of summer. Often you cannot sit down at all. Obviously we must all really like  singing to endure such discomforts. We do, of course.

The choir having performed well, we all felt very happy, and got a great buzz from the sheer pleasure of it all. It was the last performance with our conductor, who has to return to his family business in his country of origin. We had a terrific two years with him, and now are faced with the challenge of working with a new conductor. It will be a hard act to follow.

Sandwiched in between all this was the blogmeet with Frogdancer, M, Fifi, Anna, Eleanor and Kim. Although I wondered how I would manage to recognise a whole lot of people whose faces I did not know, Frogdancer and I found each other, and it was a great night and enormous fun - just not long enough by half, thanks to the restaurant's unreasonable reluctance to let us continue until dawn...curious fellows. Everyone was so different, and so interesting, and the only frustration was not having long enough to talk to everyone in detail. 

Easter itself was quiet. SD3 and her partner were staying with us for a couple of days, but they went out to meet friends for most of Sunday, and we then had takeaway Thai food for dinner - their choice, as apparently you cannot get good Thai food in Bali, where they work. But I felt as though Easter had passed unmarked, other than the choir's concert, and thus feel rather unfulfilled. And although I talked to most of the family, my heart is always sore at not being together.

I am going to Melbourne tomorrow for a few days, for the wedding of one of my nephews. (I have 21 nieces and nephews, and my children have 26 first cousins.)  As Dr P has a medical appointment on Tuesday, I will be back here on Monday. There is a school reunion the following Saturday, so I will make another quick visit. If Qantas is not making enough profit it is not my fault. This weekend there is no back up for Dr P, so I feel a little nervous about going. It will be good to see Stomper and my little grandsons. 

Today I have been racing around trying to get organised for Dr P - leaving food (rissoles again), notifying the neighbours of my absence, and also giving more details to our emergency/panic service. I just hope that this time there is no crisis. Last time there was.


molly said...

Thank you from all of us who enjoy listening, to all of you who put up with awful conditions to make music for us!

meggie said...

I have often wondered about the choir, & what discomfort they must feel, having to stand in rigid stillness!
My mother swore by warm water with baking soda in it, for soaking tired feet! Simple & cheap.

Anonymous said...

Pleased to have found you! I really enjoy this blog, your posts are so well-written and coherent, a quality that I know my own internet writing usually lacks. I admire you for singing in a choir, despite the pain -- it's one of my great regrets in life that I have zero talent for singing and am completely tone deaf.

Relatively Retiring said...

I hope you have a really good break - and that Dr. P. behaves himself in your absence.

KPB said...

It was just so lovely to meet you but I must apologise for my potty mouth. I know I swore way too much and I think I may have seen you wince when I uttered the eff word for the eleventy gagillionth time. You, on the other hand were the epitomy of eloquence and style.